If you are using sales receipts as donation receipts on Quickbooks Online, there is a way to send yearly donor statements. However, the statement will say “Sales Receipt”, not mentioning “donation” anywhere and will not have any of the IRS required information. To meet legal requirements, we can include that text in the body of the emails that will include the donor statement.
Setting up the Email Template
- Log in to QBO https://qbo.intuit.com/qbo36/login
- Click on the wheel on the top right of the screen and go to Account and Settings under Your Company
- On the Sales tab, edit Messages
- Sales Form = Statement
- Use Greeting: To: [Display Name]
- Subject = “Donor Statement from [your company]”
- Email Message: “The attached donor statement acknowledges your generous contribution. No goods or services were provided in exchange for your contribution. Please retain this for your records. Thank you for your support! [your company signature]”
Sending Donor Statements
- Press the + and click on Statements
- Statement Type = Transaction Statement
- Customer Balance = All
- Start/End Date = First and last day of the year
- Save and Send
Another way of doing this is by creating a custom report. You can have it say all the text you need to. However you’ll need to send statements one by one, which is a much slower process and the design doesn’t look very good.
To create a high quality, completely custom template, you can export a donor detailed report into an excel template and then export to PDF. This is the slowest method, but there is no limits to the design.